NAMI Multnomah is the Portland metro affiliate and one of 1,100 nationwide affiliates of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization.
NAMI Multnomah, with a handful of affiliates from around the country, met in Wisconsin in 1979 to found the National organization. NAMI Multnomah has remained independent to serve the local community, providing family support and education and advocacy under its own 501(c)3.
Our mission is to improve the quality of life for individuals and families living with mental illness through support, education, and advocacy. NAMI Multnomah helps educate people in the Portland metro area about mental health issues. We hold regular educational events, weekly support groups, and quarterly classes to help individuals and families better understand how to live with mental illness, begin the process of recovery, and sustain wellness.
Our volunteers teach free classes, lead support groups, and provide resource information to family members and individuals living with mental illness.
What does NAMI Multnomah offer?
- Free education programs for families and consumers (peers)
- Support groups for families and consumers, as well as free informational materials
- Community resources directory for mental health services and social services in the Portland, OR metro area
- Important local news and upcoming events
- Advocacy for improved mental health services
The best way to support NAMI and stay informed is to become a member.