Parents and Teachers as Allies
“Tremendous program. Some of the most valuable information I have ever received as an educator.”
Teacher – Boon, North Carolina
In-Service Program for School Professionals – Available at No Cost
Recognizing early-onset mental illness in children and adolescents.
NAMI created Parents and Teachers as Allies to help families and school professionals identify the key warning signs of early-onset mental illnesses in children and adolescents in our schools. It focuses on the specific, age-related symptoms of mental illnesses in youngsters. The program provides an educational tool for advancing mutual understanding and communication between families and school professionals. The presentation includes the following sections:
- Becoming allies: Reckoning with different perspectives
- The heart of the matter: Children robbed of childhood
- Keys to early recognition and treatment
- Learning and working together as allies
- Understanding family reactions to mental illnesses and guidelines for helping families
- Navigating the referral process as allies
- Strengthening the alliance: How NAMI can help
- Resources for parents and teachers, including books and websites
- Is delivered by a trained team, including a facilitator, a parent, an individual with mental illness, and an educational professional.
- Follows a structured format covering issues frequently faced by school professionals, parents, and caregivers.
- Has been well-tested and has produced positive results in diverse schools across the country.
542 NE 52nd
Portland, OR 97213