NAMI BASICS is an educational program that provides learning and practical insights for parents and primary caregivers of children or adolescents living with mental illness. The course and supplemental materials are offered free of charge. Total classroom time of 15 hours, usually covered in six 2-½ hour sessions.
NAMI BASICS offers education and support, and is taught by parents and caregivers who have lived similar experiences with their own children. Course elements include:
- The trauma of mental illness for the child and family
- The biology of mental illness: getting an accurate diagnosis
- The latest research on the medical aspects of the illness and advances in treatment
- The impact of a child’s mental illness on the rest of the family including caregivers and siblings
- An overview of the systems involved in caring for the children and teens
- For more information, visit www.nami.org/basics