Peer Support Specialist training
NAMI Multnomah’s training course is an Oregon AMH department-recognized program for individuals to become Peer Support Specialists. The training is conducted by Project ABLE and offered free of charge through a Multnomah County contract (you *must* live or work in Multnomah County to qualify, no exceptions). The trainings are one-week intensive programs meeting Monday – Friday, 9am – 4pm each day, with the exam given on the final day. More information on the growing trend of Peer-Delivered Services is available through the State of Oregon Mental Health division.
2016 Peer Support Specialist Training Sessions
January 25-29 | April 18-22
July 18-22 | October 17-21
Registration for October opens on Monday, August 1st
Peer Support Specialist Flyer (PDF File)
Class size limited to 20 | Only 4 trainings each year
- Must be a Peer with mental illness who wants to support Peers with mental illness (or a qualified Peer family member); AND must be a resident of Multnomah County and/or work or volunteer for a Mental Health provider agency in the County.
- The training is free: however, the actual cost is $950 per person. Due to this, full commitment to attend all five class sessions (total of 40 classroom hours) is expected.
- An exam must be passed to receive a certificate of completion.
- Graduates must also participate in a minimum of two “mentoring sessions” with NAMI and Project ABLE (available the first and third Tuesdays of each month).
PSS training components emphasize the AMH philosophy of Recovery; Self-determination; Partnerships; Person-centered planning; Strengths-based healing; Cultural awareness; and Trauma-informed services. Classes are fun and interactive, and cover a variety of topics including:
- Mental Health Recovery
- Compassionate interactions
- Listening to hear
- Barriers to effective communication
- The power of language
- Understanding the impacts of trauma
- Boundaries and “Rescue Triangles”
- Ethics and confidentiality
- Wellness and self-care
Continuing Education for PSS:
Graduates of NAMI Multnomah’s Peer Support Specialist training are invited to participate in a free monthly Continuing Education Session, facilitated by Project ABLE. These sessions have been approved by the Oregon Health Authority. Peer Support Specialists who attend the Continuing Education Sessions can accumulate 20 training hours to: meet the State’s PSS CEU requirements, OR continue to accumulate hours to meet the 40 additional hours (80 hours total) required for Peer Wellness Specialist Certification.
PSS CE Sessions are held on the 1st Saturday of the month from 9:00AM – 1:00PM at the Community of Christ Church at 4837 NE Couch, Portland, OR 97213.
Offered free of charge.
To RSVP, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.